The Interactive Presenter Studio combines webcams, telephone dial-in, and screenshare into one easy-to-use Studio.
NOTE: Recommend use of Google Chrome, Firefox, or the most up to date version of Edge, a strong internet connection, and turning off any VPN for you and your presenters.
Launching the My Connections Pod in the Studio
The My Connections pod is where you can connect your webcam, hear and see other presenters, and share your screen to screenshare any presentation slides.
On entering the Studio ensure the My Connections pod is visible and in view, if you can not see it on the screen click the large arrow to the right of the studio which will show all of the pods available, then click the My Connections pod and this will bring it in view. You will then need to ensure you click the Expand Pod icon to then join the lobby. Once you are happy with your own personal webcam and microphone settings in the lobby you can join the main event.
Presenters who will be dialling in via a phone bridge can contribute audio-only. Telephone dial-in details are provided on the top right-hand side of the Studio. When you open the My Connections pod it will automatically try and connect your webcam and microphone.
Understanding User Controls - Summary
Lobby User Controls
- Display Name - Other presenters within the studio and also the audience once the event is broadcasting will see your selected display name when you are speaking.
- Join the Event - Clicking here takes you into the event where you will be able to see and speak to any additional presenters who have joined the event.
- Microphone - Select and configure your microphone settings.
- Show/Hide Webcam - Here you can choose to show or hide your webcam and if you have multiple cameras available you can select which camera to use.
- Presenter Background (optional) - If you wish to hide your webcam background you can choose from a list of pre-set images, background blur or upload your own background image.
Main Event Controls
- Mute/Unmute Button - Click to mute or unmute your audio. To view your available microphones and speaker output options click the small arrow to the top right of the speaker icon.
- Show/Hide Webcam - If you just wish to connect your microphone you can hide your webcam if required. If you choose to hide your camera, then you will be hidden completely from the my connections pod. You will not be seen, but you will still be heard. If you have multiple/external cameras connected, you can choose your camera by selecting the arrow to the top right of the camera icon.
- Share Your Screen - Click this to share your screen, an application window, or a particular browser tab. When you share your screen this will appear large to the audience with anyone connected via webcam appearing as small thumbnails. To end sharing your screen make sure you re-click the screenshare button and you see your screenshare disappear in your own view in the My Connections pod.
- Toggle Local Presenter View - This is how you can toggle between the 2 viewing styles. Style one is Speaker View and shows one speaker dominating the screen, with the other speakers' thumbnails listed on the right-hand side. This is the style automatically selected when someone is screen sharing. If you've clicked to pin it on a certain person, you can click this again to see all your presenters at once. Note: Whatever you change your view to within the studio, will not change it for the audience unless you have Everyone Follows Me selected, which is explained further down. The second view is Tile View, which is where all presenter tiles appear in equal size in the centre of the My Connections pod. Depending on the number of presenters connected the layout will change automatically.
- Performance Settings - Adjust the quality of your camera based upon your internet connection. You can change to lower quality if you are on a poorer connection. By default it will connect to the highest quality.
- Share a Video - This allows you to share a direct MP4 video URL or YouTube video which your presenters and audience will see if shared.
- More Options - Click to see additional menu options
- Disconnect/Connect Button - When you open My Connections it will automatically connect you to the call. You can click the red button (2) to leave the call at any point. Note: If you do this during a live broadcast you will not be seen/heard by the audience, but you can rejoin.
- Shortcuts - Keyboard shortcuts to quickly access items in the My Connections pod.
- Settings - Click to show additional options.
- Devices - Review microphone, camera and audio output settings and play a test sound to check your connections.
- Profile - Set/Change your presenter display name.
- Moderator (Moderators only) - Allows you to select the 'Everyone Follows Me' option explained further down. Presenters who are not moderators do not see this option.
- Sounds - Allows you to manage your own sound notification settings.
- More - Language selector to select your display language.
- Presenter Background - If you wish to hide your webcam background you can choose from a list of pre-set images, background blur or upload your own background image.
Easy User Guides
- Change your display name
- Camera/thumbnail ordering
- Hiding your camera
- Moderator options
- Everyone follows me (manually produce the audience view)
- Start/stop broadcasting
Change your display name
Hover your mouse cursor over the image of yourself. You should see Me in white writing.
Click this to edit this.
Type in how you wish your name to appear.
This can be changed at any time. If you have hidden your camera your thumbnail will be hidden from view.
An alternative way to change your display name is to go to the three vertical dots (More Actions).
Click into Settings.
Go to the Profile tab.
You can edit your display name here and click OK to save changes.
- Speaker/Presentation View: When a new presenter joins they will appear at the bottom of the thumbnail list. A presenter can hide their webcam in the studio and this remove their camera thumbnail from appearing
- Tile View: Your own camera in the My Connections pod will display top left, with additional presenters displaying the most recent at the bottom.
Hiding your camera
If you choose to hide your camera, then you will be hidden completely from the my connections pod. You will not be seen, but you will still be heard.
In tile view, all cameras will show if turned on.
If you turn your camera off, your camera will be hidden
It is always important to have the LIVE auditorium open to ensure that all are showing as expected
If any issues occur where the camera images don't look as expected, changing the view from tile back to your screen share/webcam view while using follow me will usually fix this.
If you/someone dials in, a thumbnail will not show, but you/they can be heard.
If you/someone's camera is hidden, a thumbnail will not show but you/they can still be heard.
If using follow me and using the shortcuts to select the cameras, people hidden still count as numbered presenters (eg. presenter 2 has their camera turned off, pressing 2 would go to their icon).
You will not be able to mute someone who is hidden, so it is important that everybody mutes who is not speaking, and you only unmute when it is your time to present/speak.
To share your screen, click the Toggle Screenshare TV icon.
You will then see a menu to choose what you are wishing to share. You can share your entire screen, an application window, or a browser tabIf you do not see this, this may need to be allowed in your permissions.
View when using a chrome browser
View when using a Firefox browser
On the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, you may also see the option to Share Audio when you screen share. Tick this box to share audio. * Please note this will override your MUTE option especially if sharing a Chrome Tab.
Please note the following:
The audio from your computer will be shared in the My Connections pod and therefore with the audience if broadcasting.
Muting yourself in the My Connections pod will also mute the media audio for the audience. We would recommend using a headset that has a physical mute button to mute your microphone to reduce any background noise.
All other presenters will have to ensure they are also muted during this time to avoid any background noise.
The quality of any video is dependant on the internet connection. For longer videos or higher resolution videos, we would recommend using other options including our Cloud-Based Slides only option instead to maintain the quality and integrity of the event (please note that this would not allow for webcam and would be audio-only).
- There is also a picture in picture mode, see the below image. To activate the speaker who is in share mode will need to click on the webcam icon at the bottom on the My Connections pod.
Please take into consideration the content on your slides or screen that you would wish to share if using the picture in picture mode. The quality of the presenter's webcam video is dependant on their internet connection.
To stop screen sharing you can click back onto the TV icon or click Stop Sharing on the small pop up on your screen.
The first person connected in My Connections will automatically receive moderator rights and will show a small star next to their image.
A moderator can:
Mute a presenter.
Mute everyone else
- Hide a single presenters camera
- Hide everyone else
Grant moderator rights to another presenter (you will also keep moderator rights).
Kick out the presenter from being connected in the My Connections pod.
Muting/Hiding a presenters camera
Please note: The presenter will have to unmute themselves when they go to speak.
Ensure that you are a moderator (you will have a star next to your icon/image).
Go to More Actions (three vertical dots icon) and go to Settings.
Go to the Moderator tab and tick the box next to Everyone follows me.
When this setting is on whatever you see in the My Connections pod will the view that everyone else can see and that will broadcast to the audience.
The view for all other presenters and for the audience can be altered and controlled by using Follow Me, including:
Change the view between toggle and tile view
Click a presenter icon to change to a larger image view of that presenter.
Click the small white arrow on the right-hand side to hide or show the other presenters on the side
Follow me options
Option 1 - Hide thumbnails when on screen share
Option 2 - Hide thumbnails with the speaker on full-screen with auto voice recognition
Option 3 - Speaker on full-screen with auto voice recognition with thumbnails visibleOption 4 - Hide thumbnails with the speaker on full-screen manual vision mix
To view these click the three vertical dots for More actions and View shortcuts.
- Any Host/Producer users actively in the Studio will see a green Broadcast button situated in the top right of the studio. When the event start time reaches 1 minute prior to broadcast a popup reminder with a countdown will appear for all users as a reminder to get ready to broadcast.
- Once you are happy to broadcast live to the audience, click Broadcast, and then a voice will inform all users in the presenter studio "live streaming is on". At this point, the content and audio from presenters will be broadcast to the audience.
- When you wish to stop broadcasting live to the audience please ensure you press Stop Broadcast in the top right of the Studio, rather than just disconnecting your own status in the My Connections pod.
When Broadcasting What Does the Audience See?
IMPORTANT: If a user starts sharing their screen, the screenshare will take the main view. When a user stops sharing their screen it will automatically go back to one main speaker with thumbnails. Unless you are using the follow me function.
Follow Me View
The view that the audience sees is based on who is speaking. Individuals will change from being full screen when speaking, to appearing as a thumbnail view down the right-hand side when they are not speaking.
Please click back into the Running your event section to view other pages that include the other pods available within the WorkCast Studio. This includes:
- Presenter Only Chat
- Event Polls
- Attendee Questions/Attendee Chat
- Event Interactions
If your event is configured to the below types also click back to find guides:
- Slides-Only Studio
- Simulive Studio
- Live Stream Studio